Sunday, September 23, 2012

Baku, Azerbaijan

098_DPP_0059
Went to Baku, Azerbaijan for business trip... Initially I have no idea what to expect from a country which I know nothing about it, and I have been busy with work and no time to search for information about this place as well. I only search for the weather forecast, time zone and location of this country. The next thing was I have already landed in the land of Azerbaijan.

My arrival was greeted by my friendly customer, who actually arranged for me to go through the VIP area instead of usual airport arrival. Here, I no need to go through the custom and immigration which normally packed with people and long waiting time. Luggage will be delivered by the ground staff to the VIP area, so there's no need to go to the conveyor belt and wait. After everything was ready, my customer took me to the hotel. Along the way, it can be seen clearly on all sorts of development is going on. Construction is everywhere, and new buildings are all with modern and special architecture design. At the same time, old buildings are retaining a mix of European, Russian and Turkish design which gave the city a touch of cultural and historical feel.

After checked in to hotel, customer brought me out for a walk down the Caspian Sea. We are indulging ourselves on the nice weather and the atmosphere around us. The city is very clean, the roads are forever busy, people are driving wildly here, people tends to enjoy walking around the in the evening and relaxing, and people are very friendly and nice in general. It's  safe to walk around all alone even in the night. People here do not speak English very well, so it might be hard to communicate with them sometimes.

Baku can be divided into two parts, old town and new town area. Old town area feels a little like Italy though, with European designed buildings close to each other, having narrow walkway, giving artistic and historical feel. New town area is more modern with appearance of skyscraper and some specially designed building such as the Crystal Hall which shines with variety of lighting in the night, Carpet Museum which looks like a rolling carpet, Metro Station which looks just like the Paris Louvre and many more.

All in all, Baku is a very nice place with nice food as well. I certainly would like to see more of Azerbaijan if there's an opportunity to do so.

Camera: Canon PowerShot G1X & Xperia Ray
Other equipment: Kenko UV Filter
Software: Digital Photo Professional & PhotoScape
Date: 19-22 September 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment